Karl Lagerfeld lived at the Hotel Pozzo di Borgo, a historic residence with a main courtyard and garden, in Saint-Germain-des-Prés, between precious woodwork and stately rooms. Visit an exceptional place whose first floor was rented by the great couturier for years.
"It's a place to sleep, take a bath and work," Karl Lagerfeld told us about his futuristic apartment on the Quai Voltaire in Paris. Before investing this 350 square meters nestled in an 1820 building, the great couturier lived in one of the most beautiful private mansions in Paris at 51, rue de l'Université in the 7th arrondissement - still on the Left Bank, therefore. Successively called Hôtel de Maisons, Hôtel de Soyecourt and then Pozzo di Borgo, the building was built in 1706 by the architect Pierre Cailleteau (known as Lassurance) on commission from François Duret; in 1707, Claude de Longueil, Marquis de Maisons, acquired it and became the first owner of this architectural jewel between courtyard and garden.
It was in 1732 that the de Soyecourt family, a noble dynasty from Picardy, took possession of the hotel and undertook major renovations during which the interiors were metamorphosed by the architect Pierre Mouret between 1749 and 1751. The sculpted woodwork in the reception room is of a rare finesse, the work of cabinetmaker and ornamentalist Jacques Verberckt, who has created a true masterpiece of Grand Siècle inspiration. The premises were also remodelled in the 19th century by the Swiss Joseph-Antoine Froelicher on behalf of the Pozzo di Borgo family, one of whose heirs is none other than Philippe Pozzo di Borgo, who inspired the story of the film Untouchables.
Karl Lagerfeld would regularly move in with him, moving in on the first floor of the residence where he rented private apartments with a view of the main courtyard for a few years - he would even have installed some particularly sophisticated sports equipment there. Listed in the register of historical monuments since 1926, the Hotel Pozzo di Borgo - recognizable by its portal attributed to Claude-Nicolas Ledoux - was acquired by Gabonese President Ali Bongo on 21 April 2010.
photo : guettyimages